Problem saving excel files

steviegee 08:27 06 Jan 2009

When i am e-mailed an excel file using Outlook 2000 I have to add .xls to the file name when saving it to my documents otherwise it is a white icon called file and wont open. How can i amend this so when I save it it saves as an xls file automatically with the name it already has? Thanks.

steviegee 10:12 06 Jan 2009

^

steviegee 15:09 06 Jan 2009

^

shellship 15:32 06 Jan 2009

I can only think the sender has omitted the .xls. I doubt it is your end.

steviegee 15:39 06 Jan 2009

It does arrive with .xls but when I save it the mentioned problem arises.

shellship 18:00 06 Jan 2009

I have Outlook XP which I use all the time and receive and open Excel files without difficulty. Is it worth checking that there is not something like a space in between the . and xls or at the beginning of the file name. A friend of mine had a major problem until he discovered that the .xls file had a space to start with and therefore Excel treated it as a text file.

steviegee 08:27 07 Jan 2009

When you right click on the file within the e-mail the save attachment box comes up. Normally you can save it with any file name you wish i.e steviegee and it will save as an excel file. I have to put the file name as steviegee.xls for it to save as an excel file. I know this isn't a difficult thing to do but this shouldn't be happening. It doesn't do it on my other PC so why this one?

steviegee 13:45 07 Jan 2009

^

shellship 16:56 07 Jan 2009

Only thing I can think of is that your problem computer may not have the right file association set up. If you double click on an Excel file that you know is OK does Excel automatically open?

Another thought. If you right click on the white icon called "file" then Properties, does it say what sort of file it is?

steviegee 07:53 08 Jan 2009

'Only thing I can think of is that your problem computer may not have the right file association set up. If you double click on an Excel file that you know is OK does Excel automatically open?'

Yes it does.

'Another thought. If you right click on the white icon called "file" then Properties, does it say what sort of file it is?'

It just says 'File'

steviegee 13:20 08 Jan 2009

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?