Problem Running Ad-Aware SE Personal

Steve- 22:30 24 Jul 2005

Mesh Ultima 17 Notebook. Win XP Home.

Ad-aware runs Ok when my Laptop is booted then refuses to appear on susequent atempts to run. The process Ad-aware.exe is still runnng although nothing appears under applications. The process refuses to stop when "end process" is clicked. Logging off and on as a different user still show the process under the previous name!

Rebooting again allows the prog to run initially.

I have tried a system file check, reinstall and a restore to the initial setup to no avail.

Please does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this.

stalion 22:33 24 Jul 2005

have you got the latest version
click here

Steve- 22:35 24 Jul 2005

I believe I have, it shows as 1.06r1

stalion 22:36 24 Jul 2005

try a re-install

Steve- 22:37 24 Jul 2005

I have re-installed several times to no avail.

stalion 22:48 24 Jul 2005

uninstall adaware first, then a clean up with this then download adaware afresh and try re-installing
click here

Steve- 08:27 25 Jul 2005

Tried the CCleaner programme and also tried deleting all traces of Ad-aware manualy from the registry but but result still the same I can run the prog once or sometimes twice and then it locks into the running processes and will not start or at least let me see that it has started. I think a call to Mesh is indicated!

stalion 19:17 25 Jul 2005

yes probably your best course of action now
all the best

Steve- 21:20 25 Jul 2005

Mesh suggested a re-load, but after a bit of research my daughter found that this problem and freezing of Firefox and Spybot could be caused by having a Hyperthreading processor, behaviour stopped by right clocking on Ad-Aware.exe process in task manager and selecting "affinity" then deleting tick in CPU 1 box. This cures the problem temporarily and has to be done at each run of the program.
A more permanent fix is to download the imageCFG affinity mask tool!! from here click here
and follow directions.

stalion 21:28 25 Jul 2005

thankyou for posting the solution it will help other users

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires