Problem with "remember me " settings.

greybeard 22:01 12 Feb 2010

Running ie8 on xp home, with kaspersky as my antivirus programme.

Since upgrading to ie8, I've noticed more and more of my "remember me" type instructions no longer work.

I've only done one CCleaner sweep since then, removing cookies, temp files, etc, but most of my regularly visited sites can't remember me.
Advise on where to look for what settings I need to reset please, much appreciated.
John

rizlo29 22:07 12 Feb 2010

You need to configure the settings again, or they may be a bug.

Go to tools on your browser and play with the Internet options. There's cache options etc.

rdave13 22:17 12 Feb 2010

As rizlo29. In IE select tools, internet options- under browsing history select delete. On the window that opens make sure that 'Preserve Favourites website data' box is ticked.

octal 22:17 12 Feb 2010

If you clear out your cookies then you will loose the ability to use the remember me, as that is where the settings are stored. If you re-enter your information again then it should remember them next time.

greybeard 22:36 12 Feb 2010

rizlo an rdave - yes, that was it.
I worried about clicking on the "Delete" button before being able to check the settings I wanted.
Scary, but it worked as you said.
Hi octal. yes, I new about the effect that running CC would have, so I've not been doing it while I tried to find out what was going wrong on my own - should have come here first ;)

Regards and thanks
John

rdave13 22:37 12 Feb 2010

As octal unless they are in your favourites folders.

greybeard 22:54 12 Feb 2010

All now works ,except ebay, but then that seems to be a law unto itself !!!

rdave13 23:06 12 Feb 2010

As for ebay, or any other sites that you use for financial transactions, I would not save on the PC any passwords just for security measures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache