Problem reducing image file for e-mail sending

dagbladet 15:21 17 Jan 2004

Win XP
AOL 7
IE 6
When i right click an image and select 'send to'...'mail recipetent' i get a box offering a 'do you want to reduce...etc' when I click yes i get an explorer crash with a MIPMAPI error. I have searched the error and carried out the solution on the M/soft knowledebase site. The solution was to go through the process of slecting Outlook as the default mail client. Now when I click to reduce the file size it all works correctly except that it prepares the message in outlook (understandably) and I can only send messages out via AOL (like it or not)
Any clues folks please

You could upgrade to AOL 8, see if a fresh installation cures it. Type 'upgrade' in the URL box and select Shortcut ...

Or pick up a CD at somewhere like Comet.

It could be AOL and M/S or at odds with the Outlook solution.

StanH 16:28 17 Jan 2004

I can't help with your problem but you might find this little programme useful

click here

holly polly 17:23 17 Jan 2004

what kinda file are you sending via email ?,i tend to make a copy of my picture files for sending in emails ,you can use microsoft paint ,or irfanview ,xnview ,highlight the image click save as -i usually save as jpeg ,and then email new image ,incidentally all these programs will reduce the size of a large file just enter and resave -regards-hol pol....

Stuartli 17:41 17 Jan 2004

If you have big pic files, copy each file, drop the resolution by a half or more and then save as a .jpg.

You should be able to get them down to 20-40KB - in contrast a 1600x1200 (2MP) file sent as a straight .jpg will be between 800-900KB on average.

bpboonn 19:12 17 Jan 2004

StanH : I have had problems with reducing pic,s Thanks for link. have downloaded prog works well

dagbladet 21:15 17 Jan 2004

Thanks all. It would seem that it's to do with a MIPMAPI? problem coupled with an AOL/outlook conflict.......or something. Anyway i'm going to download the above utility and give that a bash.

ianeon 17:41 18 Jan 2004

You coud try "pixresizer" at click here

dagbladet 20:03 18 Jan 2004

Thanks pixresizer works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?