problem with receipients opening attachments

Kingfisher 10:03 03 Sep 2009

my son has an xp dell dimension set up with imap servers through outlook express, recently friends have not beeen able to open attachments sent with emails ie photos spreadsheets etc.this is a recent problem all was fine before.He has run his AVG virus checker and superantispyware, but problem persists, ordinary emails without attachments work fine,can anyone help please many thanks

Stuartli 11:00 03 Sep 2009

The "Do Not Allow Attachments to be Saved or Opened which could potentially be a Virus" box has probably been checked.

Go to OE>Tools>Options>Security tab and, if the box is checked, uncheck it.

Kingfisher 15:55 03 Sep 2009

Thanks Stuartli, will contact him when he gets in from work, will post back

Kingfisher 18:48 03 Sep 2009

no joy with Stuartli's suggestion, my son sent the file attachment to me, I got the message"outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments paul russell fish.ink."
any further help would be appreciated

Stuartli 00:08 04 Sep 2009

Perhaps your AV utility needs the configuration for checking e-mails reassessing?

Stuartli 00:19 04 Sep 2009

Don't forget that security settings configured in Internet Explorer also apply to Outlook Express.

Check with OE's Help pages on the lines of "blocking messages."

Kingfisher 16:23 04 Sep 2009

Sorry for replying so late, I now have the full facts, what my son was trying to do was get a collection of photos put them all in one folder and then send them as an email, it seems that is when his receipients get the message, saying "outlook has blocked this attachment etc." Sending the photos individually works fine, so does anybody know how to send a collection of photos in one email, have tried dragging and dropping into subject line on in Outlook Express but no joy
Many thanks
ps if you think I should start a new thread then I will do

wiz-king 16:32 04 Sep 2009

Put them into a new folder then zip it, you can then send the zipped folder as a single attachment - subject to the size limit of the email you are using.

Graham. 16:35 04 Sep 2009

Maybe the file size is too big for your ISP.

Kingfisher 16:50 04 Sep 2009

thanks for that will give it a try, will tick as resolved as he can send pictures individually if required

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?