Problem reading CD RW disc

wingfield 14:26 01 Nov 2008

I have a cd rw disc that I put some photos on a couple of years ago. Since then I have changed the PC's in our house and now I can't retrieve the stuff on the cd. The CD wasn't 'closed' as there was still some room for additional stuff.

Can I get the photos back or is all lost? My laptop recognises there is a cd in the drive but isn't coming up with the contents but shows the disc space

Is here sme soware I can download to do this? Maybe some data recovery stuff?

wingfield 14:32 01 Nov 2008

PS I've spotted in the drive details that the file system is UDF

Stuartli 14:45 01 Nov 2008

You would be best to avoid using CD-RW disks at all - their reflectivity level is very much less than CD-R disks and can prove difficult to read if used on another optical drive.

It's much better to use a CD-R or even DVD-R in Multisession form until the disk is full; creating a backup at the same time is also a sound policy.

woodchip 15:35 01 Nov 2008

If you have NERO try the copy utility in the program, it will tell you when to put a blank disc in if it can read it

eedcam 15:59 01 Nov 2008

Might be worth a try its free Iso buster
click here Or
click here

wingfield 17:27 01 Nov 2008

Thanks for your advice. I used Isobuster to find the files & photos. However at $30 (£20) to fnd a couple of photos once is bit much I think. A bit of a con finding them and them not letting you do anything with them. Anyway thanks for your help. CD recvery toolbox didn't find them for some reason

eedcam 18:49 01 Nov 2008

Iso buster should let you extract them without buying right click on the file and choose extract.I dont Recommend cons

wingfield 19:59 01 Nov 2008

eedcam - no disrespect intended but whatever I try and do with the file found by Isobuster I get the popup 'for this functionality you need to register' and when I click on the order now tab I go to their website and as far as I can see I have to pay $29.95 for an unlock code.

Technotiger 20:12 01 Nov 2008

A long-shot, but you could try using click here although it is really intended for the recovery of deleted images.

eedcam 22:50 01 Nov 2008

Wingfield I'm sure there was'nt But I dont get that on mine and I've never paid owt

woodchip 21:08 02 Nov 2008

Have you tried NERO as I said above, Just use copy disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?