Problem printing digital photo

Dipso 22:00 31 Oct 2004

I have some digital images which are around 2000KB. When I try and print them (right click, print), I get an error message, unable to print to LPT1 due to an unknown system error, restart system and retry. I have retried but it makes no difference. I can print other images without a problem.

I was wondering if it was anything to do with the size of the image and the fact that the printer is around 4 years old so may not be able to handle it but I don't get the error if I print these images using a program that was bundled with the camera software so I don't understand what the problem is.

Alex-188000 22:02 31 Oct 2004

What make of printer do you have and what OS?

Alex-188000 22:04 31 Oct 2004

My printer is 5 years old, XP didnt even have the driver for it anymore, but i can print any size pictures and have had no trouble

woodchip 22:05 31 Oct 2004

Why do you need a file that big. try reducing it and then print it. also try printing it from a Photo Edit program rather than right click print

hugh-265156 22:56 31 Oct 2004

i am guessing but i dont think the file size matters that much.

have you checked using another cable?

what make of printer and operating system are you using please? may help a bit. googling this error backs up my thinking. click here for example.

dave h 23:15 31 Oct 2004

What format is your image saved In? .bmp .tiff .jpg ????

Try saving the image as a .jpg and then printing it.

grumpy-git 23:27 31 Oct 2004

Dipso,

The images that you can print, are they all small ones?

Maybe the 2000kb ones are too big to fit onto a page without reducing them in size first. The "bundled software" may have an option for you to do that?

I use ACDSee to print mine, but Paint Shop Pro also works. You can set the size, landscape or portrait etc. according to the photo.

G-G

hssutton 08:57 01 Nov 2004

In XP, the printing wizard gives various options for layout and print size, the file size is imaterial, I have just carried out a print test using one of my standard Tiff images (18Mb)+ a jpg version of 300Kb.

This is the first time that I've used this print "wizard". What I did notice is that you are given the opportunity to select your printer and load required drivers, maybe your problem lies in this area.

woodchip 11:49 01 Nov 2004

Yes but he is printing a file compressed at 2000KB. So think of the load that will put on is windows spooler. How big is that going to be when expanded.

hssutton 12:27 01 Nov 2004

woodchip

Not quite with you regarding a 2000 Kb compressed image.

At the moment I am printing a few photos, normally I would print direct from PS. On seeing this thread I though I would give the XP wizard a go, have now printed several the largest being 81,436Kb (77.6Mb)without any problem.

Dipso 13:04 01 Nov 2004

Printer is a HP610c and the OS is ME. The file is a .jpg and is that size as it was taken by a high spec Canon.

I haven't checked the cable as it prints other docs without problems. Driver is from original disc so is correct for the OS.

huggyg71 - read your link, that is the message I'm getting but as it prints other stuff OK I don't think that's my problem.

Off the top of my head (at work now), the image was 2000 pixels long, does this indicate the size is too big for A4? I didn't alter the size though when I printed it using the bundled software.

I can get around it as I can print using the bundled software, but it isn't as straighforward as right click print and I have never come across this before.

Is there any software similar to the XP photo resizer Power toy available for ME that I could use to reduce the image?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires