problem with pci slots on windows xp

hullguy28 23:21 28 Aug 2004

I am trying to install windows xp modem settings but it only bring's up the option of comms port 1 or 2 but my modem in in comms 3. I have tried moving it up to comms 2 but the modem is too large to fit in the space can anyone tell me how to show up comms port 3 when installing a modem on xp

mgmcc 23:40 28 Aug 2004

I'm really not sure what you are trying to do, but the serial COM port assigned to the modem isn't governed by which PCI slot you plug it into.

You plug it into the PCI slot, boot Windows which finds new hardware and installs the modem, automatically assigning the COM port, which for internal modems is often COM3. If necessary, you use a supplied disk with the relevant modem drivers.

What "windows xp modem settings" are you trying to install that only offers the option of COM1 or COM2?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:41 28 Aug 2004

Comms 1 and 2 usually refer to the serial ports (9 pin socket and 9 pin plug) on the back of the PC.

If you are installing a PCI modem it does not matter which of the (white) slots you put it in.

XP may be finding it as a simple communications device and you may have to install drivers thatcame with it to get xp to recoognise it as the correct modem tpye and install to comms 3 (which is a virtual communication port)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?