problem with pci simple communications controller

nikef 16:42 25 Jan 2007

hi
in device manager
network adaptors,theres a ? next to
other devices
and
pci simple communications controller
now without the internet on my daughters pc,i cant download the drivers for this
is there any way i can download to my pc and perhaps save to a disk,to copy on to daughters pc
if not if i brought a wireless adaptor for daughters pc,will i still get problems trying to connect to internet

windows xp profesional
service pack 2
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 25 Jan 2007

pci simple communications controller this is the modem for the laptop.

Did you get a CD with the laptop the drivers will be on the cd.

is there any way i can download to my pc and perhaps save to a disk,to copy on to daughters pc

Yes just save to a folder of your choice on the hard drive burn to cd or copy direct to a USB flash drive if you have one (click save rather than run when you download the file).

if i brought a wireless adaptor for daughters pc,will i still get problems trying to connect to internet

As long as you have a wireless router a wireless adaptor with drivers installed and set up should work ok. (mine does)

nikef 18:04 25 Jan 2007

hi fruit bat,sorry it took so long to reply back,as the site was down,

its a pc not a lap top,also where would i find the drivers for the pci simple communications controller

yes i have the bt home hub,so if i get my daughter a wireless adaptor,will the pc connect to the internet without theses drivers,or do i still need them
thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 25 Jan 2007

How do you connect the pC at the moment?

Dial up modem or ethaernet cable to the router?

pci simple communications controller is usually a modem for dialup, have you got a CD with the motherboard drivers or drivers for her PC?
Download one of these
Belarc click here
Fresh Diagnose click here
SIW click here
copy to her PC and run, will tell you all equipment fitted, then we can find the drivers if you do not have a CD.

nikef 18:39 25 Jan 2007

the pc is not connected to internet yet

when i had probs with my pc the other week,i tried to connect to internet ,with a scientific atlanta webstar modem,provided by telewest, to her pc,thats how i found out there was problems with the pci simple communications controller,this webstar modem is no longer connected ,because i have now moved to bt

hope you can understand this

what i am trying to do is connect wirelessly from my daughters pc to the bt home hub,witch is connected to my pc at the moment
bt advised me to buy a wireless adaptor for my daughters pc ,so she can do her homework on it in her bedroom,as i have not brought the wireless adaptor yet,i was just wandering if i still needded to download the drivers for the pci simple communications controller
hope this helps

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 25 Jan 2007

No

just buy wireless adaptor and install it then run the wireless network setup wizard in the control panel, follow the prompts.

nikef 19:21 25 Jan 2007

thanks fruit bat,for all your help
will buy the adaptor and install it
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?