Problem with pc

kurd70 09:58 09 Sep 2006

Hi

I am having a few problems with my pc
When I turn it on it goes to Active Desktop recovery
After a while the computer freezes. i can do nothing and have to restart
Sometimes when I restart I get the choice to go into safe mode, normal windows or when setting where last ok
No matter what I choose the computer freezes after a while
I have run avg and it tells me there is change in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

This is on xp
I have got rid of a few thing since through ad aware, spybot search and detroy, cc cleaner and ewido, but problem still exists

Everytime I run avg it freezes after a few minutes

Please help

kurd70 09:59 09 Sep 2006

Forgot to say that last night sometimes the pc would not turn on or load up

johnnyrocker 10:03 09 Sep 2006

system restore to before the problems?

johnny.

kurd70 10:05 09 Sep 2006

I have trie to do sysytem restore to before the problems occured, but everytime during system restore it freezes and will not complete. I have to turn off computer and restart

terryf 10:14 09 Sep 2006

Sounds like a candidate for a repair job, yu have everything backed up, don't you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:23 09 Sep 2006

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

kurd70 14:07 09 Sep 2006

I have tried sfc /scannow a few times and before the program is finished the pc freezes

Unfortunatly I do not have an xp cd as when I bought this pc xp was alreadly pre installed

I do have the factory reset cd which I will try if nothing else work(last resort) but I will lose a lot of things on the pc that i have alreadly and will have to install a lot of programs/software etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?