Problem with Outlook Express

John-257781 19:27 23 Jan 2003
  John-257781 19:27 23 Jan 2003

I am having a problem setting up Outlook Express.
Am at present with Hotmail and wish to set up Outlook, but whenever I try to set up an account there is a problem with errors and passwords.
Shall I have to delete Hotmail before I am succesful with Outlook, as I read somewhere that they are not compatible. Any help much appreciated.

cdb 22:00 23 Jan 2003

have you set your incoming server as http in the account properties when adding the email account to outlook express? the passwords should then be your normal log in password.

DieSse 22:17 23 Jan 2003

You need first to have an POP email account with your ISP.

You need to get the following server names from your ISP - POP3 server - SMTP server.

You also need to know your email account name and password. In particular the email account name needs to be in the exact format demanded by your ISP - the way in which this is done varies.

Your ISP help pages should have a blow-by-blow account of what to put where.

Hotmail is perfectly compatible with Outlook Expess - in fact you can use OE to collect your Hotmail, rather then the Web, if you wish.

John-257781 14:56 24 Jan 2003

many thanks to you both for y our help. I can now send messages through. The only problem I have now is that NTL is continually cutting off, I have never had this problem before. Anyone any ideas?

regards.

John-257781 14:56 24 Jan 2003

many thanks to you both for y our help. I can now send messages through. The only problem I have now is that NTL is continually cutting off, I have never had this problem before. Anyone any ideas?

regards.

mackaycc 18:22 24 Jan 2003

Check your account properties to make sure that Outlook Express is not set to disconnect after sending and receiving messages, or that one account is set to use a different dial up account.

John-257781 18:52 24 Jan 2003

Indeed there was a tick against receiving and sending messages.
Outlook now works perfectly, and I am very grateful to you all.

regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?