Problem With Outlook Express 5

Mark-293923 13:51 29 Oct 2007

I'm currently running Windows ME.and I Use Outlook Express 5 as my email client. My problem is that when ever I go to send an email I get the following error message:"MSIMN has caused an error in DIRECTDB.DLL". When I click OK Outlook closes down, when I reopen Outlook the last email received states that "Outlook Expess did not shut down correctly". I can receive emails; no problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks..........Mark.

brundle 16:39 29 Oct 2007

Do an IE repair (as OE uses many of IE's files); click here

I am also fairly sure you should be using OE6 if you have kept ME up to date with MS patches, why OE5?

Mark-293923 13:49 30 Oct 2007

Thanks for your reply.
Tried the repair but all I get is a runtime error! Yes; you're right, I should be using OE6 but this is a company PC and too tight to even go to broardband,so I only have an internet connection to send and receive emails, hardley worth surfing the internet as it takes too long on dial up! As for windows update, never been updated since I first got the PC in 2001.

Any other suggestions other than loading OE6?

Thanks Again.

brundle 17:31 30 Oct 2007

Remove and then re-install OE. Go to control panel/add remove programs, click Windows Components, untick Outlook Express, you may need your Millenium CD handy, if you haven't got one point any file requesters to c:\windows\options\cabs.
Reboot, follow the same steps but this time tick OE.

Back up your messages first as a precaution; click here

brundle 17:35 30 Oct 2007

Or try this; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?