problem with outlook express

handout 23:38 18 Jun 2007

can anyone give a little advice. after a crash I had to re-install my system on a new hard drive. all seemed well but I cannot get outlook express to connect to the server to download e-mails.Explorer works fine but the conection diolog for outlook express reads socket error 10054 error number 0x800ccc1a(which is aparently a code for secure_connect_failed) .All my server details seem to be correct. I run windows 98se & outlook express 6. I would be gratefull for any advice

beeuuem 01:43 19 Jun 2007

This suggests that you are trying to connect using a secure connection. Not all servers require a secure connection. In OE > Tools > Accounts Properties > Server tab if the 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication' is checked try it without the tick.
If you could give the name of your ISP (e.g. BT, Orange) it might be helpful.

handout 16:49 19 Jun 2007

Thanks for replying beeuuem my isp is freeserve .The secure password box is not ticked but the remember this password box is, though no password has been entered if I try to remove the tick it asks for a password to allow me to do it which seems strange. I have checked through all the help files I can find on freeserve (now orange) and all their setup seems correct and the fault appears to be with oe settings but cannot find a help file to point me in the right direction I do have the oe error codes but dont know how to apply this to rectify the fault

beeuuem 18:17 19 Jun 2007

Are you saying that you do not have a password entered in Servers?
The norm is to enter your user name and password and tick the save password box,. If you do not do this a password box will appear every time you send or receive mail and will have to enter the password manually each time.

The mail settings should be
pop.orangehome.co.uk for the incoming mail and

smtp.orangehome.co.uk for the outgoing mail
according to click here

handout 20:46 19 Jun 2007

Thanks beeuuem that link was much clearer than the dial up authentication article I downloaded for windows 98.I had not put the password in because I do enter it manually each time I use oe & did not want it to remember it but I had left the ticks in the secure dial up which I should have removed. Thanks again you must think Im realy thick.(you may be right)

handout 20:47 19 Jun 2007

Thanks beeuuem that link was much clearer than the dial up authentication article I downloaded for windows 98.I had not put the password in because I do enter it manually each time I use oe & did not want it to remember it but I had left the ticks in the secure dial up which I should have removed. Thanks again you must think Im realy thick.(you may be right)

beeuuem 23:42 19 Jun 2007

Are you now getting mail?

You are not thick. Everything is easy when you know how to do it. The only way I have found anything out is either by being lucky and getting it right eventually or, more usually, getting it wrong and asking for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?