Problem opening .exe files

Microjack 15:10 10 Apr 2009

Subject: Problem loading .exe files

Dear PC Advisor,

I am having a sudden problem loading files on my desktop XP, which has not happened before.

When I switch the computer on I get a dialogue box that is headed: "One of the .exe files listed below. Bad Image", and which contains the following message:

"The application or
DLL C:\PROGRAM~\Google\GOOGLE~\COEC62~\.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation disk".

I have to clear this box each time before I can proceed any further. In every case the invalid file is a .exe one; and as I have over thirty such files it takes some time to clear the box for each one before I can start the computer.

I have uninstalled Google in the hope that this will resolve the problem, with no improvement. Help would be appreciated.

Peter Southgate

Graphicool1 15:49 10 Apr 2009

You shouldn't be displaying your email address like that. You're laying yourself open to spamming or something worse. Do you see the little envelope next to your name. That's how you can be contacted if need be, it isn't a direct mail, it goes via PC Advisor for your protection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 10 Apr 2009

Scan for virus and malware looks as if a dll has been corrupted.

When you eliminate the virus you will then need to do a windows repair.
start - run - Type sfc / scannow - press OK.

lotvic 20:38 10 Apr 2009

To have your email address removed you need to click on
'Contact Forum Editor' (just above your first post)
and request that your post with your email address be removed.

Then you can post again 'Start new Topic' with your problem and this time not put your email address in.

phono 00:38 11 Apr 2009

Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from click here update it and run a scan, if it finds anything let it deal with it, post back with the results.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:53 11 Apr 2009

Have you tried the windows repair option?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone