Problem with Norton Ghost backups

fredzepp 09:56 16 Mar 2007

Hi everyone,

I am running a Mesh PC with AMD Athlon 64 processor. I have two Maxtor SATA 1 drives the main drive being 250gb.

I have suddenly started having problems backing up to an external drive using Norton Ghost. It quits half way through the backup and tells me the backup failed to complete.

I error-checked the disk through windows and even that process woudnt complete - the computer froze half way through and I had to restart the PC.

I recently had some kind of virus problem and had to reset the BIOS - could that have some bearing on this?

Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

acein1 18:00 16 Mar 2007

I am running a Mesh PC with AMD Athlon 64 processor. I have two Maxtor SATA 1 drives the main drive being 250gb

hi i am running the same set up as you and i use "norton ghost" without any problems,assuming your os is Xp,and you "chkdsk"the "c" drive before you run ghost "remembering to "tick" both boxes" it should run and fix any errors on your c drive ,and also if your using windows own defrag ,i would run that also before backing up, i dont use the windows defrag program ,and as im using diskeeper and it defrags in the background without me doing anything ,hope this is of some help,(btw im using ghost 9)

fredzepp 19:21 16 Mar 2007

hi
Thanks for your response. When I try to run chkdsk it wont let me do it without restarting windows, then it stalls during the "checking file data stage" - it reaches 22% then freezes. Strangely enough I have had this problem with another hard drive which I eventually scrapped as I thought it must be the disc which was corrupted in some way.

Well, I will try defragging as you suggest but the chkdsk function is a no-go at the moment.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?