problem with Nikon Coolscan V ED film scanner

User-E3BA5423-9896-4F6A-887F6158532E30D5 17:46 14 Apr 2010

Scanner was bought in 2005 and has worked well for 4 years scanning 35mm colour slides to produce jpg files on my (old) computer which uses Windows XP. Recently, a problem developed whereby only about 1/4 of a slide is scanned. I got a free download from Nikon which enabled me to run the Nikon Scan4 software on my new (Windows Vista) computer, and all was well for about 2 weeks but then I had the same problem again. I have now downloaded VueScan to my Vista computer, and have successfully scanned an image with it. The VueScan software is free if you put up with an embedded '$' in every picture, and is fairly inexpensive to buy if you want the $ removed! But I'm puzzled as to what the problem is, as it seems to be neither purely mechanical nor purely software-based. As I have no cheap way of fixing the problem, before I buy VueScan I'd like to be sure that the scanner doesn't similarly fail with VueScan in a few weeks' time. Clearly, other (more expensive) options are to have the scanner repaired or to buy a new one. As well as thoughts about my problem, I'd welcome any suggestions for a replacement scanner (for 35mm slides and colour negsative strips) of similar quality to the Coolscan V.
Many thanks,
Ken Read

ventanas 22:19 14 Apr 2010

Is this what you downloaded click here
It needs to be version 4.0.3 for Vista

As for replacing it, I thought these were history by now. Got rid of mine three years ago along with all my darkroom kit. No need for it whatsoever any more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?