Problem with new hard drive installation

toogie 10:38 17 May 2010

Recently bought new hard drive and installed as "Master" "C" drive. My old "C" drive connected as "Slave" now "F" drive.
Although I can open folders and read files on "Slave" drive I cannot access some programs, most importantly "Quicken" and "Outlook Express". Also, my audio, which worked well on the old drive does not now work from either, all I get is a loud crackle from the front centre speaker.
For info.my Mainboard was replaced a few years ago.

gengiscant 10:49 17 May 2010

Did you clone your old C drive? Or have you just reinstalled windows on the new drive?

toogie 13:52 17 May 2010

I just installed windows on the new drive! How do I clone?

gengiscant 15:31 17 May 2010

If you have just installed windows onto the new drive, all your programs will not work as they also need to be reinstalled onto your new drive.

Also all the drivers for your motherboard, graphics card etc will need to be installed again, which will hopefully sort out your sound problems.

Cloning a hard drive is making an exact copy of the old drive on to your new drive, which you can then swap over. Useful if your wanting a bigger hard drive.Have a look here.click here

toogie 18:16 19 May 2010

gengiscant, thanks for the link to PCSTATS. I have downloaded the free version 3.9.1 for Windows of HDCLONE as this sounded to be good enough for my purposes. Unfortunately the Application wizard fails at the last page and suggests I boot from my CD onto which I had burnt the hdclone.img file. Again no joy as I can only find my DVD drive available to boot from, apart from my 2 hard drives and when I put the CD in this drive nothing happens. Probably not enough info for you to help with but I can only ask!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017