Problem with new flash dive.

cocteau48 19:59 07 Nov 2008

I have just bought a new Sandisk Cruzer 8GB flash drive. I plugged it into my Vista laptop which recognized it as new hardware and it appeared as it should in Explorer.
I then removed it from the machine using the safe to remove option.(right click context menu)
Upon reinstalling it into the laptop it does not now appear in Explorer - nor does it does show up as a portable device in Device Manager but it does appear in Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.
If I reboot with the flash drive installed it does then appear in Explorer.
(I also have a 1 Gig Kingston drive which works perfectly.)

Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Pineman100 20:17 07 Nov 2008

I've sometimes found (in XP) that if I "safely remove" a USB device, and then put it back in again, the computer won't see it. But if I restart, then all is OK again.

Can't explain it, I'm afraid.

cocteau48 20:28 07 Nov 2008

Pineman100
I will only recognize it if it is rebooted with the flash drive pre-installed.
I have noted that in Computer Management when the drive is recognized after a reboot as above it is allocated a drive letter but when I just insert the drive although it shows up in Computer Management it has no drive letter allocated - nor will it let me allocate one.

Technotiger 20:29 07 Nov 2008

I never use the 'safe to remove' option with USB flashdrives - as they are hot swappable, I just ensure that that they are not being read or written to of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?