Problem networking PC's to new Router

Petewaka 12:49 06 May 2007

Just purchased new laptop and router (belkin wireless G+Mimo) and want to share internet with existing PC's, I have broadband with NTL cable and currently use USB connection between 2 PC's which are next to each other from NTL modem, both PC's are running XP, 1 is a Mesh which is wireless enabled, the other is not.
When I run the belkin software CD-ROM it instructs me to remove the internet cable from my PC and plug it in to the router, but there is no USB port on the router?, I guess they assume I'm using an ethernet connection, I have got an ethernet cable which I assume came with the NTL modem, but when I plug this in to the modem and PC it dosen't work and I have no internet connection, any ideas please on what my problem is and what I need to do to install router.

setecio 14:37 06 May 2007

Forget about the wireless Mesh until you get the other PC working fully by ethernet cable.

Your new setup will be:
NTL->NTL modem --ethernet-->router --ethernet-->PC

So you need 2 ethernet cables.

Once you have it connected then go into
control panel-internet options-connection, tick never dial a connection, click the LAN button and tick automatically ...

Petewaka 16:57 07 May 2007

Thanks Setecio, now sorted, however having difficulties securing network, it doesn't seem obvious what I need to do?, can you advise the steps I need to go through or do I need to post new problem.

setecio 17:31 07 May 2007

log into the router and look for wireless security section, select WPA tkip, type in a random 20 or so characters&numbers and set.

Then on the laptop scan for the network, select it, connect and you will be asked to type in the key above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?