Problem with netgear mA101 wireless modem on XP

Canine 00:47 25 Jan 2003

I have today purchased two Netgear wireless USB adapters MA101 to network a Windows 98 and Windows XP home computer. The 98 computer installed perfectly but the XP home won't. Instead of the red computer icon I'm supposed to get, when I install the driver I just get a crossed out icon and the message wireless connection unavailable when I click on it. I have tried reinstalling and running the XP network wizard for the last four hours. Is this just an incompatabilty problem (the box says supports XP) and is this a trip to PCW! for a refund tomorrow? Help appreciated.
(serves me right for buying the cheapest!)

jazzypop 00:53 25 Jan 2003

You are not supposed to get a red icon, but a green one (from memory). I believe that they are both saying the same thing, i.e. that there is nothing else to talk to. Try setting them both to ad-hoc mode.

Steve- 09:32 25 Jan 2003

I had a similar problem with a Belkin Wireless PC card that was supposed to be XP compatible out of the box, I had to download the latest drivers - for your card click here or search for Netgear if the link doesn't work. You will have to set them to Ad Hoc unless you are using an access point.

Canine 16:26 26 Jan 2003

I downloaded a new driver and that sorted the communication problem. That was brilliant advice. All now ad-hoc and plain sailing - except now struggling with contacting AOL Broadband through the second PC but I think I will tick this and open a new thread.

Thanksalot

Canine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?