Problem with My Documents Folder

kennelhound 15:23 08 Dec 2009

Whenever I go into Start-My Documents and open a file I get a window up saying either "Windows Explorer has ebcounterd a problemand must close" or "Dr Watson has ditto". It will let me go no further until I accept the close but does not happen when I go back to Start-My Documents the second time.

BurrWalnut 15:30 08 Dec 2009

The problem may be caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here click here

When you run it, click on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. Let us assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide and concentrate on the others. Is there anything else listed that is either unnecessary or suspicious? If so, highlight it and click the red spot (top left) to disable it. If it‘s easier, disable them all, re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try Explorer until the culprit is found

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?