Problem with ms antispyware updates.

Meshuga 16:20 13 Nov 2005

I have successfully downloaded ms antispyware and all works well so I decided to download it on to my 2nd computer and when I try to manually check for updates it tells me that it cannot because it cannot detect an internet connection. I am in fact connected to the internet via a netgear router/ modem and can connect to any web page that I want. I don`t get this problem with the 1st pc. Both pc`s os are xp home sp2 up to date. Both pc`s were running Giant until they expired and had no problems. Both have had Giant removed before installing MS. Any suggestions please.

Meshuga 16:26 13 Nov 2005

Should have mentioned that I am on Broadband too.

Meshuga 17:00 13 Nov 2005

Bump.

dogbreath1 17:05 13 Nov 2005

Could be a firewall issue. A new installation of a program is seen by a firewall as a new program. Try configuring your firewall to permit MS ASW to connect to the internet.

Meshuga 18:21 13 Nov 2005

Hi dogbreadth1. You were absolutely right, the firewall was set to "block all unless authorised by me". I reset it to"allow all internet connections" and problem solved. Many thanks indeed.

dogbreath1 20:47 13 Nov 2005

I don't know which Firewall you have and how it can be configured, but 'Allow All Internet Connections' seems to be rather insecure. It would be better to define which programs should be permitted to connect to the internet.

Meshuga 21:31 13 Nov 2005

The firewall is part of Norton internet security and now that I have isolated the cause of my original problem I wll sort out which programs I don`t want blocked and configure it accordingly.

dogbreath1 21:47 13 Nov 2005

Cheers, take care out there...it's a dangerous (virtual) world!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?