Problem With Memory Stick

steviegee 09:00 14 Jan 2009

When I insert my memory stick problems arise. It either says on 1 PC please insert disk into drive E or on another PC it will say do you wish to format. If I select format it comes up with error 'windows was unable to complete the format'. Whats the problem and what can I do please? Thanks.

Catastrophe 09:48 14 Jan 2009

I have exactly the same problem with floppies and, sometimes, CDs. But in my case they will work in other PCs. Please provide more information - especially Operating System.

steviegee 09:53 14 Jan 2009

The O/S is XP, I am not sure what other info you need.

iscanut 10:12 14 Jan 2009

What is the make, type and capacity of the stick ? Also what version of USB do you have ?

Catastrophe 10:15 14 Jan 2009

Can you try the stick in other PCs. With my floppy problem it says put in disk or format in 3 PCs but if I connect second floppy drive via USB it works in all. I guess please insert disk or format suggests media not being recognised. I think XP should recognise - anyone else know for sure? I would try stick in other USB and other USB devices in the one giving you the problem. This should at least show if either stick or USB works under other conditions.

steviegee 10:23 14 Jan 2009

I have tried in 3 pcs and it doesnt work in any. Not sure of the make but it is a 16GB USB2. It does show as a removable disk in my computer and also shows up as 16GB unallocated in disk management.

Catastrophe 10:29 14 Jan 2009

Is there anything on it you need?
Can you format it in any PC?
Can you go to Disk Management and Right Click and Format?

steviegee 10:33 14 Jan 2009

There is nothing I need and as I said before if I select format it comes up with error 'windows was unable to complete the format'.

'Can you go to Disk Management and Right Click and Format', no that option is not available.

Catastrophe 10:45 14 Jan 2009

Is there any option available in Disk Management?

I had to add a 500GB HDD there a while ago before I could format it.

Catastrophe 10:49 14 Jan 2009

This is where I got it. The Complete PC Upgrades p. 52.

"Your new disk will be unformatted and represented as a black bar labelled Unallocated. Right click on the new disk and choose New Partition." Then format Wizard. Is that relevant?

cocteau48 10:50 14 Jan 2009

Try booting with the stick pre-installed.
I had a very similar problem with a brand new stick which was recognized the first time it was installed but refused to be recognized if it was subsequently removed and re-installed although it did appear in drive manager but with no drive letter assigned to it. (As it was new I ended up returning it for a refund)
However it was recognized if I booted with the stick pre-installed so that may be worth a try if you are attempting to recover information from it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone