Problem loading USB Device Drivers on Vista

Newerfoundglory 18:43 04 Nov 2008

After installing PowerISO earlier today, I now find that my computer fails to load any of my USB device drivers... external HDDs (Western Digital/Freecom/Buffalo), wireless mouse, printer, Media Remote IR receiver...

I've so far tried various different approaches from across the web to get round the problem - editing the registry, deleting/replacing drivers in the inf folder, updating the drivers and un-installing/re-installing drivers in Device Manager... none of which have proved successful.

When I plug in new USB devices to further test the problem, windows tells me that "Device Driver software was not successfully installed" and just recommends contacting the manufacturer - I honestly don't think it's each individual component's fault, though I did try re-installing the mouse driver without success.

I'm running 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium on a Zoostorm G31 VP Series M7. It's an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor with 4Gb RAM.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Newerfoundglory 18:44 04 Nov 2008

Forgot to mention, in the Device Manager, the Device Status is noted as:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Woolwell 18:45 04 Nov 2008

System Restore to before the installation of PowerISO would be my first move.

Newerfoundglory 18:54 04 Nov 2008

Oh yes, done that twice already.

skidzy 19:14 04 Nov 2008

Uninstall PowerISO and run sfc from an elevated command prompt click here

There is always the option to reinstall Poweriso over the top of the current installation,just in case you had a buggy download/installation.

Newerfoundglory 10:37 05 Nov 2008

Thanks skidzy - wasn't aware that that tool even existed - very useful!

However, after running the scan, this is what I got:

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Consulting the log, all I get is "Access is denied" and a blank notepad is opened!

Any further help or advice?

Re-installing Vista is something I'd ideally like to avoid, as it was pre-installed on the machine I bought and supplied without discs, so I'd have to buy a new copy.

TIA

Newerfoundglory 13:00 05 Nov 2008

From 'anewhope' on the moneysavingexpert tech forum, who offered some other advice:

"Go into Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers and uninstall everything listed."

*The computer didn't allow me to remove "Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal(/Enhanced) Host Controller(s) but this did not seem to matter*

"Then restart. It should redetect the controllers and attempt to reinstall them. Failing that, you'll need to find out what motherboard you have and download the drivers for that board and reinstall them."

I didn't need to do as much as that - after uninstalling each device (composite, mass storage & root hub) and rebooting, Vista redetected all my usb devices and the drivers were reinstalled with no problem at all! Good news.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017