Problem Loading Pages

happyhotspur 14:08 17 Jan 2010

Over the last two weeks I keep getting the same error messages either this one:-

'The connection has timed out
The server at click here is taking too long to respond.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages,check your computer's network
connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.'

or

'oops the link appears to be broken'

I really don't understand what is going on as I am actually trying to open my home page which is the BBC home new page. But it also happens on some other pages as well.

Is this my computer that's causing the problem or my Internet connection itself?

happyhotspur 08:20 18 Jan 2010

I am running Vista Home Premium, and Firefox. Java script is enabled, and I have run Malwarebytes which has found no problems. I also have AVG9, which does not report any problems. I have also tried rebooting several times, but as I said not sure if it is my Internet provider (which can be very unreliable, here in Spain.

This problem only started a week or so ago so really cannot understand why

happyhotspur 10:50 18 Jan 2010

Hi Jock1e, I will try what you suggest, its weird cause this fault appears intermittently, I can get on my home page one minute then after going to other pages go back to my home page and get the error message, that why I though it might be my ISP as their broadband connection is at best unreliable (I'm being kind), but where I live I don't have a lot of options.

wee eddie 14:15 18 Jan 2010

or anti-Phishing Site Checker?

happyhotspur 14:39 18 Jan 2010

Tried Internet Explorer and the following error message came up.
'The web-page "click here" cannot be found
DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found. The link may be broken'.

I have disabled both AVG and before that I was running Microsoft Security Essentials, and tried disabling both but still get the problem. I have just logged on and my home page came up immediately then checked my e-mails tried to go back to my home page and got the error message. Its intermittent.

Really frustrating, but can get into this web-page, no problem. weird

Sea Urchin 16:08 18 Jan 2010

Running two AV programs is asking for trouble - uninstall one of them.

happyhotspur 16:15 18 Jan 2010

Yes realised that so have uninstalled MSE but still getting the problem

wee eddie 01:49 19 Jan 2010

What Firewall are you running?

Try disabling AVG's Link Scanner. It's not an essential tool in the armoury unless you are trolling a lot of dubious sites.

happyhotspur 07:36 19 Jan 2010

I have the latest AVG and have now disabled the Link Scanner, but still having the same problem loading the BBC, I can get some of their web pages but not the home page. Is it the BBC that's causing the problem, I know over here we cannot access the iplayer and some of their video content, but the home page has always worked.

happyhotspur 10:26 19 Jan 2010

Today I uninstalled Firefox the latest version and reloaded Internet Explorer and my BBC home page is loading fine, so will monitor the situation to see if it happens when using IE8. Thanks for all the help

happyhotspur 10:29 19 Jan 2010

Naw that didn't work just tried to return to my home page and got the message:-

'oops link appears to be broken'

Its got to be a problem with the BBC website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017