Problem with listening to radio stations online

Grundy02 13:09 22 Nov 2008

I can find the website for any commercial radio station, but when I try to Listen Live, the console goes to Play and stops. It doesn't start buffering etc.

I have tried listening through IE, Firefox and Aol, but it doesn't make any difference.

There is no problem with the sound as I can listen to BBC radio stations, as they have their own player console.

I have both Windows Media Player and Realplayer in my list of programs.

Can any member suggest a solution?

howard64 13:35 22 Nov 2008

as with the bbc requiring real player each site may need either a different prog or an add on. Look on the radio site for the information and what prog or codec they need. Usually they have a link to get what is needed.

tullie 14:06 22 Nov 2008

Just to let you know,you dont need Real Player to listen to the BBC

Grundy02 12:10 23 Nov 2008

Many thanks to howard64 for your suggestion. I went on to the Smooth Radio website and under FAQ was the advice that all I needed was Windows Media Player(WMP). And if I had trouble listening, to try and play a song on WMP. That was when I found the problem was with WMP - it wouldn't play anything.

I downloaded version 11 of WMP and still couldn't listen to a song. In their troubleshooting section was the advice to change the Audio Output Device by selecting a different sound contoller.

I did that and hey presto! the problem was resolved and I can now listen to radio stations through the internet.

My grateful thanks to howard64 for setting me on the right path to solving the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?