Problem with Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader

Nick2002 12:24 18 Jun 2004

Hi, I have a problem with my Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader ( click here ).

I am using Windows XP Home Edition. When I connected the reader to my PC the first time, it automatically detected it and added three Removable Disk icons to My Computer (one for each card slot). When I double-click on one of the three icons, it says "Please insert a disk into drive X", as you would expect. However, problems occur when I insert a memory card into the reader.

I have a 32MB MMC card and a 128MB Memory Stick Duo card with adapter. When I insert either card, and try to access any one of the three drives, My Computer hangs and stops responding. The only way I can make the PC return back to normal is to disconnect the reader from the PC by removing the USB cable.

Under "Disk drives" in Device Manager, I have the following entries: Lexar Media Inc. CF USB Device, Lexar Media Inc. SD/MS USB Device, and Lexar Media Inc. SM/xD USB Device. Under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", I have USB Mass Storage Device listed. I have tried uninstalling these drivers and connecting the reader again, so that Windows re-recognises the reader, which to no avail. Creating a new user account also does not work.

I know the reader is not faulty because it works fine on my friend's laptop, which also runs Windows XP Home. I can go into My Computer, double click on the correct drive icon, and it will show the contents of the memory card. There is no hanging whatsoever. The same drivers are listed in the same categories of his Device Manager as on mine.

Can anybody help me to make this reader work with my PC?

Thanks for your time,

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?