Problem with large executables

AndySB 16:21 18 Oct 2006

I am having a problem with running very large executables files in Windows XP. I have been trying to install some game demos that are, I think, self extracting executables that are around 1-1.5Gb in size and they just hang windows explorer or the DVD application on the demo disk. Even when I select the executable file to delete it is hangs windows explorer.
Is there a setting in XP that lets it handle large files properly?

rodriguez 16:33 18 Oct 2006

This is because they are self extracting archives and they extract to a temporary folder when they're run. The big ones that are a GB or more, have a lot of data to decompress and this is like extracting a large zip archive. The main difference is that it actually hangs Explorer windows while it does this and there is no progress bar which is annoying. The best thing to do is to run it and leave it for a few mins to extract itself. Even though the window hangs, it hasn't stopped responding and is just busy. Eventually it will free itself and the installation will start. It just may need to be left for a few mins.

Jackcoms 16:40 18 Oct 2006

It might also help help to come off-line and disable your AV program whilst extracting.

If your AV is still active it might be trying to read or scan each file as it extracts - which will only slow down the process even more.

AndySB 16:42 18 Oct 2006

I'll try that out thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?