Problem with iplayer and Adobe Flash Player

Boblin 14:01 09 Dec 2009

I am not computer literate so bear with me.

I have Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X on my Dell. I use Windows Vista Home Basic.

I tried to watch BBC iPlayer but it said I needed Adobe Flash player to run the program (I didnt know at that time that I had AFP9 Active X) and to "click" to download and install. (Version 10.0.32.18) It got halfway downloading and froze, nothing was happening. It would not close when I tried. In the end I switched my computer off. When I switched it on again I tried (using IE8) to watch ITV iPlayer and got the same message. Tried downloading that with the same result.

Every time I switched my computer on it was freezing up and this Adobe message was there and I could not get rid of it. In the end I did a System Restore, but I still can't watch iPlayer.

Should I go into Control Panel > programs and uninstall Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X and download from File Hippo the latest Version 10.0.42.34 (IE)of Flash Player and will this then let me watch iPlayer on BBC and ITV.

Help!

Boblin 14:02 09 Dec 2009

I should have mentioned that at the same time Windows said it needed to download and install the latest driver from something called Nvidia Gforce. Which I did.

Boblin 15:13 09 Dec 2009

OK so the main question is whats the difference with this Active X - no mention on Flash Player 10

chub_tor 15:18 09 Dec 2009

Don't use Contol Panel to uninstall Flash, use the Adobe uninstaller instead click here

Boblin 15:53 09 Dec 2009

Thank you chub_tor for responding. Will give it a go.

Boblin 19:20 09 Dec 2009

Delighted to say that using the Adobe uninstaller from your link chub_tor I managed to uninstall Flash 9. Then downloaded latest Version 10 of Flash Player from File Hippo.

I can now access iPlayer.

Thank you very much for your assistance chub_tor.

I hope that if anyone else reads this thread with similar problems it is of help to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017