Problem installing Word

redvet 11:43 24 Jan 2007

I am attempting to install Word 2000 on my PC which is running on XP Home Version 5.1 with Service Pack 2. All my installation discs are authentic and the installtion goes thru OK but when I click onto Word to bring up the programme message appears saying...
application must be installed to run .... run set up from original installation application...
I have done this using the run facility, but get the same message result each time. Any help/advice much appreciated.

Jackcoms 11:57 24 Jan 2007

Try this.

Come offline and disable your AV program (they can sometimes corrupt new programs if left running during installation).

Go into Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs and, at the left-hand side, click on 'Add New Programs'.

At the top-right click on 'CD or Floppy' and work through the Wizard.

redvet 12:11 24 Jan 2007

Much appreciate your prompt interventon. What do you mean by disable my AV program.

redvet 12:34 24 Jan 2007

Apologies, just realised the AV bit !!

redvet 12:52 24 Jan 2007

OK carried out process twice got same result.
Have also Works Suite 2004 which has word included and done this install by same method you suggest, this time went in OK but message appeared saying..
Microsoft word had not be installed for current user, run set up to install application..

iscanut 13:01 24 Jan 2007

Have a look at this Knowledge Base item

click here

redvet 15:03 24 Jan 2007

Thanks

iscanut 16:15 24 Jan 2007

Sorry that the article did not cover problem when using Win XP !!

redvet 16:24 24 Jan 2007

Thanks again. I have just about given up on it now. The knowledge base was very useful though, nearest i got was solution to the Works Suite which had the same message wording but it told me to delete a key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\Office. Had no trace of that key in my system so ... maybe thats the problem !! Have installed an alternative WP to tide me over until (if) I resolve the Word problem.

iscanut 20:37 24 Jan 2007

For an excellent alternative to Microsoft, try Open Office..really good and free

click here

STREETWORK 22:08 24 Jan 2007

Try to boot into safe mode and install it from there.

Other problems could be with the keyboard set up being american english rather than british english. You can check this in control panel, regional and language options...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?