Problem installing WinDVD5

old wolf 12:39 13 Apr 2004

Although I can install other sofware OK,having previously uninstalled WinDVD4, I have a problem installing WinDVD5. I get the following message at the 'preparing the installshield wizard'stage:- (error extracting support files: cannot create a file when that file already exists. It may be that version 4 was not wholy uninstalled, but I cant find any remnants. I would add, I have updated the installshield engine as ealier suggested. HHHelp please.

old wolf 21:47 13 Apr 2004

Since posting the original, I have detected a remnant of Windvd, while trying to open a file, the 'Open With ' window popped up and in the list is Windvd. How do I remove it, and why is it still there when the program itself has been uninstalled. ??? Any ideas folks ?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:51 13 Apr 2004

Try a reg search for windvd ir may just need these deleting to install.

Regards.

stalion 22:04 13 Apr 2004

you have probably still got some connection to this in the registry.Regards

old wolf 16:02 20 Apr 2004

I have removed all references to Intervideo and Windvd from the registry. I have tried to also install a trial download of Powerdvd 5, and get the same error message. (error extracting support files: cannot create a file when that file already exists. Could a file that is common to both programs be in the system that needs to be removed. Any further ideas, and thanks for your responses all.

GaT7 17:01 20 Apr 2004

1. Try emptying your Temp folder(s) & deleting the WinDVD folder (if it exists) & try again. 2. Also, if you have a AV scanner turn it off & try the install again. 3. Try to install after a Clean boot (i.e., after unticking EVERYTHING in msconfig & rebooting).

GaT7 17:37 20 Apr 2004

If still no joy, try updating/reinstalling your PC's DirectX - click here. If you buy/subscribe to a PC mag with disks they may have DirectX on them so will save you the download - make sure it's the latest 9.0b version. If you use WinME/XP, Microsoft recommends creating a 'System restore' point before installing.

old wolf 11:51 23 Apr 2004

Thanks Crossbow, I have tried all these, and when trying to install Directx 9.0b, I get the same error message, ime tearing my hair out here, whats teft of it. I use 98se by the way.

dth 12:56 23 Apr 2004

It isn't looking too good!

As a long shot - why don't you try installing 4 again. Then re-booting and uninstalling it again.
Then re-booting again and seeing whether tthere are any bits left. Re-boot again and (fingers crossed) try and install 5.

Just a thought as it sounds like the uninstall of 4 hasn't worked correctly.

GaT7 19:00 23 Apr 2004

try these in the order they appear (I realise you've done some of them so skip those if completed without errors):

1. Copy the WinDVD5 CD to your hard drive & try installing from there. Also do the same with DirectX 9.0b (if you've only already tried installing from a CD & failed).

2. Clean the Temp Directory -
click here

3. Configure the DCOM Settings on Your Computer - click here

4. Detect and End Previously Running Installation Processes - click here

5. Update Your Computer - click here - this tip also suggests reinstalling IE & DCOM.

(To check if all updates/hotfixes are installed correctly on your PC or not, install & run Belarc Advisor. click here to download. Check the report you get. Hotfixes that have not installed will not show up at all, if they've installed correctly they will have a 'verifies correctly' tag & if installed incorrectly will have a 'fails verification' tag.)

6. Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines - click here

7. Reboot and try the installation again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone