problem with installing of Service Pack 3 for WXP

pulteny 00:51 23 Aug 2008

I downloaded SP3 for Windows XP installed it on my Hewlett-Packard PC no problems. However I have an aunt who is a silver surfer, I thought it would be a good idea to install it for her on a Dell PC which I knew had service packs 1&2.I had the program on a formatted RWCD which was used for my installation so no problems there.

During the installation on my PC the Wizard created a restore point as had I therefore on her PC I did not bother, first mistake. The installation process was about three quarters of the way complete when a warning came up"a file is open or being used by a running program shut down all running programs and continue".I did ctrl+alt+ delete and the only one I could see was the SP3 installation program? I tried to get the thing to continue but in frustration eventually pressed the cancel tab. The operating system was unhappy and told me that windows might not work properly if I continued, as I was already between a rock and a hard place bit the bullet and sat and waited as the system began unloading files. Eventually all appeared ok and I did a hot boot and every thing seemed to work as it should. However every time the computer starts up a grey box appears and a file gets what appears to be unloaded?

My aunt has broadband connected by a wired network from the modem router. Could this network card be what was using the file, as it was running at the time. The only solution I can think of is to complete the installation of SP3. How can I ensure that nothing is running that will affect the operation of the installation Wizard?

brundle 01:05 23 Aug 2008

Do a clean boot. click here

brundle 01:06 23 Aug 2008

Also hit F8 at boot up and choose Last Known Good Configuration to restore things before trying a re-install.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:16 23 Aug 2008

Install in safemode

pulteny 11:42 25 Oct 2008

I thought a formatted cd/dvd by INcd4(nero)was the best since sliced bread.A recent crash on Win98se sent me looking above."Isobuster & Powerdata recovery"could find price in $ so a no no. Any one out there know where in Sterling or other software.
Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone