Problem installing broadband

wobblymike 22:24 25 Jan 2006

An unusual problem - I am trying to install broadband (something I have done numerous times) for a neighbour the problem is as follows. She has a BT Voyager 205 modem which I have connected in the normal way with a filter connected at the pont the modem joins the telephone line. I have installed this way many times no problem and my own system is also hooked up the same way. The DSL light on the modem continues however to flash. When I plugged a phone into the phone output of the filter I had no dial tone - theres the problem says I -however as soon as I unplug the adsl cable from the modem to the filter the dial tone returns - as soon as I plug it back in it disappears. Can anyone suggest why this could be (REN on the line maybe?)

Stuartli 22:27 25 Jan 2006

Might be a faulty filter (splitter) - it has been known especially with cheap ones.

I doubt if the REN has a lot to do with it - I run a cordless BT phone, answerphone, two extension phones and BB and dialup modems without any problems.

PC Bilbo 22:34 25 Jan 2006

Some time since I had to connect one of these but there is a dedicated site which may be of help.

click here

wobblymike 22:42 25 Jan 2006

Stuartli no tried 3 different filters.

pc bilbo - thanks interesting but doesn't seem to deal with my problem

phono 23:13 25 Jan 2006

Have a look at this troubleshooter and follow it through, it is very comprehensive click here

Let us know the result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?