Problem with "installation" of Windows Updates

Ironmaster 17:15 26 Feb 2011

Greetings! I run Windows XPSP2 and recently had a boot-up problem fixed locally when Microsoft Security Essentials was installed as a precautionary solution to another anti-virus suite. This switched on the Updates system and dozens of updates duly appeared(they had been switched off for months!).

Things settled down satisfactorily but yesterday, when closing down, a message appeared saying that a re-start would be required in order for an update to be properly installed. No problem with this, but the next time I used the computer and then tried to close down (AND EVER SINCE THEN),the "Turn Off" button has been amplified with the dual message:

"Click Turn Off to instal important updates and turn off your computer"[and,alternatively]"Click here to turn off without installing updates".

If I click the first alternative, two updates are apparently installed (interspersed with warnings not to interrupt the power supply while this proceeds) and then shutdown occurs normally. NOW FOR THE PROBLEM! The computer will fire up just fine but, when I go to shut down, I am presented with the same alternatives irrespective of which one I chose when I shut down the system previously - and the number of updates asserted to be awaiting installation remain at 2 even though no more have been downloaded (I can be absolutely certain of this as I have been switching off the modem while running my tests; one is unable to switch off the update function since the installation of Ms Security Essentials - grrr!).

I could probably live with the problem but suspect this might be storing up difficulties for when further updates are received in the normal course.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

james105051 17:25 26 Feb 2011

If you don't mind using the "sledgehammer to crack a nut" solution you could try installing XP SP3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?