A problem with IE & btInternet.

palinka 17:24 16 Mar 2010

I’ve been helping a friend change her password for the dial-up btinternet account that she uses for OE and IE. Her OS is XP.
As soon as she’d changed the password she tried to get on-line and received an error message:
“You have been connected to a special service area due to a connection problem. Click here now to let us start checking your settings”.
She did that but nothing happened – at least not during the time that she was prepared to keep the connection open (it’s a pay as you go dial up).
So I checked out her connection to the web on my computer, using her new password and there was an email saying the change has been made, but it may be a while/a few minutes before it is “active” (or some similar phrase). She thought that the error message she had seen on her machine was the result of being impatient
Back on her own computer emails are now arriving and OE seems to be fine.
But she still has difficulty connecting to the Internet via IE. Every time she types a URL and clicks Go, the address changes back to the BT address that brings up the same error window - “You have been connected to a special service area due to a connection problem. Click here now to let us start checking your settings”.
By being very persistent I managed to connect on her machine to the BBC website; but that seems to have been a one-off.
Please, can anyone suggest a solution? It’s driving us both mad.

northumbria61 23:54 16 Mar 2010

Try restoring your computer to last known good configuration.

To load the last known good configuration in Windows 2000 / XP reboot the computer and as it's booting booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" Use your arrow keys to move to "Last Known Good Configuration" and press your Enter key.

northumbria61 00:28 17 Mar 2010

You could also try from your I.E Homepage - clcik on TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - CONNECTIONS Tab - Check to see if "Always Dial My Default Connection" is checked - OR click on ADVANCED Tab - RESET (Reset Internet Explorer Settings) click APPLY then OK.

palinka 08:52 17 Mar 2010

thank you, northumbria61; I'll get her to try the second idea first (because she has very little experience and the 2nd will be easier for her.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache