Problem with HSDPA - 3G connection

fredinjorox 15:23 06 Jul 2008

I live up a mountain in Spain, internet connection has been thro' vodafone GPRS at 53K.

2 weeks ago a new mast came on line with HSDPA and my HAUWEI E220 HSDPA USB MODEM connected to it giving 3.6 meg. Signal strength is excellent BUT it wont work with Windows live messenger, without constantly disconnecting.

I tested it with Dan Elwells speed test program and it reports back very slow ping times and a high rate of packet loss. Trying to get help from Vodafone in Spain is like trying to plat sawdust.

Are there any things I should tweak in my Vista that might help.

Many Thanks

Fred

ambra4 16:11 06 Jul 2008

Disable IPv6 In Vista

Windows Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

IPv6, when it's rolled out across the Internet over the next few years, will bring an end to

the problem of running out of IP addresses and improve other aspects of TCP/IP

operation.

However you do not need IPv6 at present time disable IPv6 in the Windows Vista system.

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

fredinjorox 18:05 06 Jul 2008

Thanks Ambra4.

I did what yu said but ping times are so slow that they time out in a lot of cases and packet loss is 30-40%

It could be a Vodafone problem, but I cant get any response from them.

Fred

ambra4 18:50 06 Jul 2008

Take a read at this site, see if it will help as you might have to update the firmware on the modem

click here

woodchip 19:07 06 Jul 2008

You could try using this click here it sets windows settings

fredinjorox 21:17 06 Jul 2008

Thanks for the help it seems to be performing better. I have upgraded to latest firmware and software. Perhaps this is the best I'm going to get, it's certainly better than the 53K I have been getting for the last 2 years.

BBC broadband test reported 1.1 meg, which mite not seem much to some but to me that's fast.

Thanks

Fred

ronalddonald 21:28 06 Jul 2008

doeant apply to mobile doggles. Ive tested mine with 3 mobil and give the same result but if you look at the actual speed is 3.6Mps.

The bbc likes the router connections ie from telphone to the mearest telephone junction.

These test cant measu mobile boradnand only wireles routers or pluged in routers

ambra4 21:35 06 Jul 2008

Try these sites and see what speed you get

click here

click here

fredinjorox 08:46 07 Jul 2008

Tried the 2 sites you suggested ambra4, first one wouldn't work, probably my security settings are too high. Second one gave 1.3 meg or 150Kb/s download. I am happy with that.

Many Thanks

Fred

ambra4 11:54 07 Jul 2008

Glad to hear a lot better than you had before

Enjoy

Tick the box and click solved

woodchip 13:55 07 Jul 2008

Thought the above would help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?