Problem with hotmail account, can you help ?

Bike-it 20:41 21 Apr 2009

My next door neighbours husband died suddenly recently and he used to look after everything to do with the computer in the house from setting up email accounts to keeping the computer safe and secure, his widow has an MSN/ hotmail e mail account but she cannot log into her account as she does not know the password or any of the security answers that her late husband answered whenever he set up this account.
So is there any way that she can contact hotmail by phone or any another means so they will give her the password,
she has emails that her husband sent her the day he died and she wants to read them and print them out, so i am doing my best to try and get this sorted for her,
So any help will be much appreciated.

johnnyrocker 20:45 21 Apr 2009

i doubt you will get very far but i wish you all the best

johnny

OTT_Buzzard 20:45 21 Apr 2009

Sorry to hear the story :(

Its doubtful that she will gain access to the email account if she can't answer any of the security questions. I can't see Microsoft making any exceptions here, however an impassioned plea may do the trick, if she can prove her identity and her relationship to her deceased husband.

Bike-it 20:46 21 Apr 2009

Johnny why do you say that, are hotmail not very helpful?

johnnyrocker 20:50 21 Apr 2009

they are microsoft and generally rules are rules but better put by OTT_Buzzard than i, just thinking further might departed have kept records somewhere in a book or elsewhere on pc?

johnny

OTT_Buzzard 20:56 21 Apr 2009

click here;en;1310&ws=1prcen

to contact Microsoft. I'd put some serious consideration in to the wording before you submit though!

OTT_Buzzard 20:56 21 Apr 2009

Sorry, link didn't come out properly. Try again!

click here;en;1310&ws=1prcen

OTT_Buzzard 21:00 21 Apr 2009

Open a web browser and type in:

htt ps : / /

BUT without any spaces! Then copy in the rest of the link below after htt ps : / /

support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1310&ws=1prcen

lotvic 21:16 21 Apr 2009

It's possible that the 'Forgot Password' will work if it was set up with an alternative email address for hotmail to send the password to (like mine is, as not a lot of use having password sent to an address that you can't login to)

lotvic 21:42 21 Apr 2009

If IE and the passwords were stored on pc in Autocomplete click here then you can use this freeware click here to retrieve it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?