Problem HDD

Jim'll Fix I.T. 19:25 13 Nov 2003

I have a 20gig Fujitsu HDD that will not run an operating system, I can install Windows (98SE, ME and XP) on it but it becomes unstable and all I end up with is the BSOD. Have tried using it as a second HDD and no problems at all !

Any ideas why anyone?

Offending HDD came from a mates PC (1gig Duron 256Mb PC2100 Asus MoBo) running XP on it for 6 months with no probs.

rowdy 19:38 13 Nov 2003

If you go to the manufacturers site you will probable find a utility for either "zero fill" or "low level format" which can be downloaded free. If this is used on the HDD it will return it to 'as new ' condition and clear out any residual items from previous use.

Take care only to use on the disc ( set as slave ) and not to wipe out your master. Often problems are caused by some residual formatting in the MBR (master boot record)which will prevent the disc booting when set as master with an OS installed.

rowdy

Bullyboy 20:46 13 Nov 2003

When you say 'Unstable', what do you mean? and how old is it?

Giggle n' Bits 22:04 13 Nov 2003

look for the Fujitsu Disk utility tool and download then run it. To do this you will need extract it to a Floppy disk and restart your machine to the A:/ prompt type in FJDT.exe and the programm will run, test your HDD for any problems.

found it at:-

click here

jonnytub 22:35 13 Nov 2003

did you check the hdd for viruses when installing ? A not too often case scanario which happened to me recently is a friend also gave me a hdd (40gb), this hdd came with a free virus as a compliment (just kidding he did'nt know) which started eating up my os. Before it got too bad i removed the virus, replaced the mbr and ran chkdsk from the startup disk. It had 4096 bad clusters ruined by the virus, the rest was recoverable and the bad clusters were thrown to the wayside. I also used fdisk to delete the origonal partition and created a new primary dos partition using the rest of the usefull (un-infected)storage space. I now use it as a slave for storing of mp3's and vid's.

Jim'll Fix I.T. 19:31 14 Nov 2003

Rowdy - Thanks for the tip, a low level format is always carried on any HDD that passes through my mits!

Bullyboy - Allows me to install an OS but will just refuse to boot afterwards - about 2 years old.

Audio~Chip - Thanks for the link, have tried all options from Fujitsu, but going to continue using it as a 2nd drive (found no probs on a full scan)

Jonnytub - scandisk was run with no errors found

Conclusion - must be a GUNT - Generic Universal Non-specific Thing !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?