Problem with graphic card installation

prav_17 19:12 06 Jan 2006

Hi

I've had a bit of bother when trying to install a Sapphire Raddeon X5500 graphics card into my desktop.

My desktop has an AGP slot (8x), and i've managed to insert the card in ok, but when i turn on the desktop, the computer dumps and i get the following error message:

"The registry cannot load the hive (file): \system Root\System 32\Configs\SOFTWARE

It is corrupt, absent or not writable"

the specs on my Carrera Vision Plus AMD desktop are as follows:
Foxconn K 8S Althon 64 Motherboard Skt 754
AMD Athlon 3400 64bit 754 Pin CPU
Aries 256Mb DDR RAM
The monitor i've got is a NEC52VM 15' monitor
I've not got a sound card installed on my PC.

I've tried to tweak the settings in the BIOS, i.e. change the AGP setting to 256MB, but this has not solved the problem.
I've not yet installed the drivers on my PC that came with the card.

I suspect it might be the monitor itself, as the monitors own "settings" appear on the screen while it tries to boot up, but i'm not sure about this.

With the above in mind does anyone know what could be wrong?, i.e. is the graphics card compatabile with my PC, or do i need to install the drivers first?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pravin

csqwared 19:25 06 Jan 2006

Try here....click here

csqwared 19:27 06 Jan 2006

Better still...click here;en-us;Q307545

csqwared 19:31 06 Jan 2006

Sorry that link should go to the microsoft support knowledge base article 307545 and I can'y remember how to link it.

prav_17 19:53 06 Jan 2006

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. It's ok i pasted the ";en-us..." bit at the end of the link's URL.

From the solution it appears my registry is corrupt...

I think my operating system (XP) was OEM installed though - i'll double-check this

If it is, i'll try the first link, but if it isn't i'll try the second more longer solution

Anyway, thanks for your time and help :)

prav_17 11:15 07 Jan 2006

i was wondering if the graphic card i got is incompatible with my computer - if i remove it, will it solve this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?