Problem getting started

Coaster3 13:15 10 Mar 2003

I have just put together a new machine consisting of an Abit KG7 RAID m/board and an AMD XP2000 CPU. When I switch on I get a long beep which is repeated. Nothing else.

Can anyone tell me why please?

powerless 13:20 10 Mar 2003

Your motherboard is?

Make sure you RAM is in the first slot. It's actually Slot "0" and make sure it is seated properly...The tabs on either side are facing up indicating the RAM is in the slot.

Give it a push, not to hard though.

Lú-tzé 14:04 10 Mar 2003

have a look at bios central and their beep codes. You will need to know your bios maker.

click here

powerless 14:10 10 Mar 2003

I'm going blind, i see the mobo now :-)

Coaster3 15:45 10 Mar 2003

The ram was first placed in slots 1,2 & 3 and I got the error described. I then noticed that the Instruction Book says, "Those modules (ram) should be populated in DIMM4 to DIMM 1" which is the other way round. I tried that and got the same beep.

According to the ABIT site " The only AwardBIOS beep code indicates that a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps. Any other beeps are probably a RAM (Random Access Memory) problems."

On another part of their site "Number of beeps 1 Meaning of error 'DRAM refresh is not working.'

I suspect that it is a memory error but was hoping that someone could offer some guidance.

AndySD 15:57 10 Mar 2003

Remove all but one module of RAM and remove and replace the graphics card making sure its clipped at the back.

Coaster3 18:25 10 Mar 2003

Will do. Get back tomorrow. Many thanks.

Rayuk 18:34 10 Mar 2003

Award beep codes are click here

Coaster3 19:15 25 Mar 2003

Trying to buy and sell houses is a nightmare these days.

I spotted the problem this evening. I took some memory out of my computer and put it in the new one which promptly started with no bother.

Guess where I bought the faulty memory from. You guessed it - Ebuyer. I should have known better. I'll stick to Crucial in future.

Now for the long battle to get it replaced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?