Problem formatting a Seagate SATA HDD

Audio~~Chip 21:48 25 Jul 2009

- to install WinXP Home on. Very confused on this one, I have ran Seagate tools to Erase the HDD and also ran Seagate Tools Diagnostic and it passed.

O, then going to install WinXP using a Intel Celeron 2.6GHz CPU on a ASROCK P4i65G motherboard it formats then goes and ask's which partition you want to install winXP on then warns installing another version of XP over this partition is not recomended and can cause problems.

So you see the big partition and a little 8MB partition. I know its the bigger partition to install XP on as the 8MB is the remaining unused bit that won't delete.

The HDD was from a Dell and was fitted in a Raid array with another 160GB HDD. Any forum users got any suggestions to try and get the XP installed on or is the HDD Faulty after all ?

Audio~~Chip 22:15 25 Jul 2009

My WinXP Home with this machine is WinXP and no Service Pack. I need to install SP1 at the same time of WinXP Home er think its called Slip Stream or something.

Never done it and no idea what to do. Help please.

Eric10 22:20 25 Jul 2009
  Audio~~Chip 22:24 25 Jul 2009

Would you think before I go and try follow these intructions that my problem is caused by installing WinXP with No Service Pack on a SATA HDD is my Problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 25 Jul 2009

XP without SP2 will not see drives above 137G

If your motherboard is seeing the drive then when you start the Installation and it finds the partition just select the option to format the partition before installing XP.

When XP is installed download and install SP1 then download and install SP3 (SP2 is included with 3)

Audio~~Chip 22:58 25 Jul 2009

I choose format but it goes round in cirlces. I go to format the HDD, then it loads the winXP files the reboots F8 to accept the EULA then gives me the Partition option then forces you to Format again. Very annoying.

So with what you say, I should look at slipstreaming SP3 to get WinXP on to a 160GB HDD.

Audio~~Chip 23:13 25 Jul 2009

which has the title in support as How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folder the right way for what I am trying to do as this doesn't explain how you install windows unless it the i386 folder after adding the files from that cab do the install when burned onto a ISO image CD

Very confused and stuck now

ambra4 04:26 26 Jul 2009

Take a read on How To: Slipstream Windows XP SP3 and Vista SP1

click here

Audio~~Chip 12:42 26 Jul 2009

Couldn't do too much last night, got a small hangover now but I am going ot try and do this task this afternoon. First is to read all the above sugestions which I am greatfull to all for.

Thank so far to Eric10, Fruit Bat /\0/\ & ambra4

Audio~~Chip 15:12 26 Jul 2009

ok, I have managed to get to the stage 4 !!!
This is on click here

I am now in need of a tool called ISO Buster, I have downloaded it and a little worried if its safe to use and if it is free to use once ? I have nero v7 oem but don't think Nero creates files into ISO it just burns ISO images

ambra4 16:20 26 Jul 2009

“I am now in need of a tool called ISO Buster”

You don’t need an ISO Buster program if you had used the nLite software

After you had copy the OS and SP3 to a folder you just create an ISO file and burn to a CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?