Problem with first install of XP

kelemvor 14:38 18 Nov 2006

Hi
My flatmate has just built a new pc but is having trouble installing xp(home).

He seems to be getting an error (he said it was error 23 if that helps) which states that a file cannot be copied.

Can anyone suggest a reason why this may be happening? could it be to do with the partition sizes? I don't know if he's using fat32 or ntsc, but can find out if needed.

Or might it be a problem with the copy of xp - it is a legal copy so should be ok.

The hard disk is a 250Gb sata drive, which is brand new, so it should be fine too.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

kel

kelemvor 14:46 18 Nov 2006

It turns out he's only able to use ntsc and isn't partitioning the disk at all. so it'll be a single 250Gb drive.

He keeps getting stuck at 99% completed install too, before the error message appears

VoG II 14:48 18 Nov 2006

What is the exact message?

And I think you mean NTFS.

daxian 14:50 18 Nov 2006

hi kel....
could be the disk needs cleaning or the drive heads might need cleaning (cd drive)does'nt take much ,greasy fingerprint is enough to give problems.....Dave

cavillas 14:55 18 Nov 2006

Has he installed the Sata drivers when installing XP?

kelemvor 15:04 18 Nov 2006

Ok, NTFS, but you knew what I meant :0)

Anyway, he installed the drivers on his first attempt, but he says that windows went funny - afraid that's the only description he gave.

Next time, he got to 99% afterwhich he got the error message - he's almost at this stage now so I'll let you know what the error msg is when it appears.
Thanks

kelemvor 20:14 18 Nov 2006

Hi guys

I've had a look at the problem and here's where we stand so far:

It turns out that my mate is actually trying to install windows (media center edition)

but not all of the software components are listed in the add/remove software window (ie config.components window). the error message that we're getting is as follows:

Delete error:
An error occurred while deleting file
c:\windows\help\hrtz.chm

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)(error #23)

this is followed by

Distributed transaction coordinator setup error:

Sub component- Distributed transaction coordinator raised an exception while processing the oc_complete_installation setup message.
d:\nt\com\com1x\dtc\ntdtcsetup\src\cseyuputil.cpp (line2748)
Error code=0x80004005
Unspecified error-failed to execute function'dllregisterserver()'in C:\windows\system32\mtxoci.dll

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this?

Thanks
Kel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?