Problem finalising simple home network Lap/Desktop

Technotiger 13:27 09 Apr 2007

Hi, XP Home(SP2) on both - trying to get laptop to finalize wireless connection from Tower Desktop. Connection is established with excellent signal strength, but Laptop is not getting any further than showing that it is "acquiring network address" in the animated icon on taskbar.

Using Safecom 4Port Wireless ADSL Modem Router.

Any ideas for a solution please....... TIA

I had initially posted this in Network forum, but no response, so now trying here ......

moorie- 14:33 09 Apr 2007

have a look at this technotiger,see if there is anything that can help
click here

Technotiger 15:02 09 Apr 2007

Hi, many thanks, I have printed the item (10 pages), will let you know how I get on.

Technotiger 16:53 09 Apr 2007

Well, have read all the way through, only one paragraph applies to the actual problem (Inability to access the Internet), a Winsock fix is provided, which I ran, but it has made no difference.

Thanks anyway ...

Technotiger 17:58 09 Apr 2007

bump

moorie- 18:04 09 Apr 2007

Technotiger,sorry nothing in the link
heres an extract from another link,one other thing to rule in or out

If you’re using Windows XP, you can configure your device by right-clicking the Network Connections icon from the System Tray and then clicking Open Network Connections. Right-click Local Area Connection and select Properties. Scroll to and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click Properties. Select the General tab and then click the radio buttons in front of Obtain An IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically. Click OK when you’re done.
Also check advanced,dhcp enabled and tcp over net bios enabled.
also click here

skidzy 18:07 09 Apr 2007

Hi Techno
I take it the desktop is surfing without problems and just need the router settings for the laptop.

Quickest and probably the easiest way,is to use a flash drive.

Goto control panel and select wireless network setup wizard and add to your named network.
This will ask you to insert a flashdrive and then ask to insert this into the laptop and back again.

If both machines have a card reader or you have an external card reader,this can be done using a memory card.

mocha 18:09 09 Apr 2007

Is your router set to restrict MAC addresses, also IP addresses, make sure there are enough IP addresses to cover the amount of computer's on your Network. Firewall on laptop need's setting up with router IP. Range also, If your using DHCP every time you turn the router off it could give your computers a different IP address. Check that your channel numbers are the same for router and Computer's.

Technotiger 18:30 09 Apr 2007

Thanks guys, apart from looking at the Network Diagnostic Tools, I have already done all that has been suggested. The desktop (with wireless router) and the Laptop both connect wirelessly to each other, the laptop does show all connections of the network - the only problem is 'innability of laptop to access the internet' ... everything else is fine, just that the laptop is continuously showing Acquiring Network Address ... but never actually acquiring it.

In conjunction, but a separate ? In addition to FF
I use IE6 (don't ask me about 7), however, in IE6 I get no Diagnostic option, so can't follow through moories' link!

skidzy 18:34 09 Apr 2007

Possibly your security key Techno,double click the radar waves connection in the system tray and select security and check your wep/wpa code.This will be encrypted and may have to select a new key from the router and insert into the lappy.

Or from the routers configuration page,temporarily disable the security and try the lappy.

Technotiger 18:55 09 Apr 2007

Again skidzy, I have already checked, double, checked, triple checked security key (original one was about 40 characters long!) I have been trying since Saturday and have repeatedly checked everything already mentioned by you good folk here.
At one stage I knocked my own desktop 'off the air', but was able to get it going again without too much trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?