Problem with Files & Settings Transfer Wizard

car nut 17:11 24 Mar 2005

Hi

I've just got my new PC from Mesh (XP SP2)and I thought I'd transfer my old files using this wizard. The new PC doesn't come with an XP CD - it's pre-loaded.

So, I check the box to make a wizard disk to run on my old laptop and it says: "I want to create a wizard disk in the following drive:", but only gives me the option of Removable disk F,G,H or I.

There's no mention of Drive D which is the DVD/CD writer, which is what I want!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

freaky 18:44 24 Mar 2005

Before you use the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard you will have to connect your Mesh to the Laptop. Your Mesh will have a Network connecter at the back of the System Unit. Hopefully your Laptop will have the same.....if so you will need to get a Network cable to connect the two PC's together.

Once you have done this, then reboot both PC's and leave them both on....then use the Wizard again.

VoG II 18:48 24 Mar 2005

click here may help you.

car nut 19:31 24 Mar 2005

According to the Wizard I should be able to create a wizard disk to run on my old computer, thereby obviating the need to connect them direct (I don't have an appropriate cable at present)by inserting a blank disc in the new computers drive and making a CD. PCA (april) seems to agree (p.162)

I wouldn't have to connect them then, surely?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?