Problem with file transfer wizard

barkerh 08:09 02 Dec 2006

I have a new dell computer and after a lot of problems dell suggested the only option would be for me to re install window xp media center again. I duly saved all my data using the files and settings transfer wizard requesting files only. It saveed them as : IMG00001.DAT, IMG00002.DAT, IMG00003.DAT and so on and I burned them to DVD. On coming to reinstall them the computer gave me a message "Transfer in progress, please wait while the Wizard transfers files and settings". Almost immediately thereafter I received the following message: "Please insert Disk 1". And then a final message: "The disk you inserted in not the correct one, insert Disk 1".I had two disks so I tried the other first but to no avail. I have seen several posts on various websites that other people have had similar problems but cant seem to find a solution. Can someone help with this as I really dont relish the idea of loosing all my files!! - thanks in anticipation Helen

skidzy 08:15 02 Dec 2006

Have you tried inserting the discs and see if it will boot from the disks ?

Also make sure your Microsoft updates are upto date.

skidzy 08:26 02 Dec 2006

Sorry just done a little research and it seems its a much bigger problem than i first thought.maybe this will help:

Just thought I would post my .bat that I used to help someone out. I am trying to make everything as simple as possible.
the UNC folder is the store, not the DAT. I think this is where a lot of people are getting confused.

I put these files in a folder I called "FAST" on root.
So I have a tree that looks like this
c:\FAST
\FASTConv.exe
\USMT2.unc
Be aware that the USMT2.unc Folder will contain two files \IMG00001.DAT and \status.
I then created a batch file called "convert.bat" that contained this string.
fastconv /s:USMT2.UNC /d:destination /t:c:\FAST\Temp
So now my tree looks like this
c:\FAST
\FASTConv.exe
\convert.bat
\USMT2.unc

I double clicked the batch file and let her run. It will create a folder called destination and a temporary folder called "Temp" that will be deleted at the end of the process. This restored everything. to the "c:\FAST\destination" folder.
For those of you with multiple UNC folders, try doing one .dat file at a time, move the other ones out and just name everything like I have above. Hope this works for you all.

click here

barkerh 08:31 02 Dec 2006

I am sorry but I am a relative computer novice - I can do the basics but that was way over my head - can you talk me through this process in simple terms and I will try it - sorry to be such a dummy!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?