Problem with extra memory

I have added some extra ram to my pc. Since doing that the PC crashes and wont start correctly. Can I have too much ram? What do you thinks wrong? I have now taken it out to write this.

I have 4 memory slots, I have noticed 2 are blue and 2 are brown. What does that mean?

awest3 17:28 19 Feb 2008

I think you can have too much ram, systems have limits depending on model,age etc. you would normally check one of the memory suppliers sites, like crucial to ascertain memory type and amount which can be safely added. Memory is usually fitted in pairs to the slots you have mentioned blue/brown although colours vary by machine. You normally start off by fitting memory into the slot closest to the cpu then add the next module into the same colour as the first..this usually leaves a gap between the two. what machine do you have..? have you checked that the memory you bought is compatable..?

Al

rossgolf 17:28 19 Feb 2008

some motherboards require memory to be in, in pairs...which slots are you using
what motherboard?

Current Spec:-

Processor
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E 2.XX
Bus Clock: 220 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1011-004 01/20/2006

Display:
RADEON X300/X550 Series [Display adapter]
RADEON X300/X550 Series Secondary [Display adapter]

2 x 160Gb Hard drives

The existing ram was in the 2 blue slots 2 x 512ddr and I added the 2 x1gb ddr ram in the 2 brown slots. crash! I then took out the 2 x 512 and put in 2 x 1gb in the blue - crash!

rossgolf 17:36 19 Feb 2008

check with crucial how much memory you can have

awest3 17:37 19 Feb 2008

this sounds like incompatible (or dud, unlikely)memory modules, if you check on crucial it will tell you what memory modules you require plus it will tell you how much you can put in.
Al

Totally-braindead 17:43 19 Feb 2008

It sounds to me like its either fault or more likely incompatible memory too, thats one reason I tell people to goto Crucial.

From your spec its a fairly recent computer and therefore I think that too much memory is not an option. Its probably the wrong RAM.

It seems the new ram wont work with the old. The new ram seems to work ok on its own, as does the old ram but not together. Do you think 2Gb is enough? Or maybe get 2 more sticks of the 1gb I just bought to make it 4gb?

mrwoowoo 18:05 19 Feb 2008

If you have your m/board manual look in it to see the section under compatible ram as it only seems to list kingston,corsair and a few others.
They should be installed in slot 1 and 3.
If you want to view the manual i will provide a link.

Totally-braindead 18:10 19 Feb 2008

Is 2 gig enough? For most people it is. There can be a compatability problem with RAM you add and the RAM thats there, my only suggestion is see if theres any info on the ASUS site and their Forums for this particular motherboard and memory.

My ASUS board which is different from your warns that "Always install DIMMs of the same latency". So it could be something like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?