Problem with external hard drive capacity reading

373Bob 23:43 28 Mar 2011

I have a Iomega 500Gb external hard drive connected by USB2 to my computer. I am using the drive as a "Back-Up" store. All was well until yesterday when the available space indicated on the drive dropped to 49.1GB. I have checked the indicated space taken up by back-ups and this comes to 294.28GB. Can anyone tell me what could have happened to the other 150GB (or thereabouts) that appears to have vanished?

Dragon_Heart 00:19 29 Mar 2011

Try TREE SIZE click here

373Bob 13:47 29 Mar 2011

Hi Dragon Heart, sorry but your suggestion did not bear any fruit. Thanks for the response anyway.Regards

bremner 13:51 29 Mar 2011

Have you recently deleted a large amount of data from the disk. If so have you emptied Recycle Bin?

961 13:53 29 Mar 2011

Can you say how you are getting the figures you are quoting?

What back up software are you using?

What files are shown by going to MyComputer and then to your external drive?

Les28 16:12 29 Mar 2011

If the operating system is XP it may be system restore monitoring the external drive, which XP will do by default unless you choose not to monitor the external drive.

Does Tree Size show a SVI folder on the external drive, don't know whether you need to make show hidden files and folders visible and also untick Hide protected operating system files in My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View and Apply and OK to make it visible to Tree Size.

Dragon_Heart 02:01 30 Mar 2011

Can you supply a bit more info ?

Operating system, the file system on the external hard drive ( eg FAT 32, NTFS ) and how you are doing your back ups.

What's the indicated total spave shown when you try 'Properties' ?

373Bob 12:50 31 Mar 2011

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and advice. I finally discovered that when Windows 7 does it's back-up routine mush of the space taken up does not show up in the "Properties" section when the drive is accessed. As a result a false reading is received. To find out the actual useage I had to go to the back-up section of Control Panel and check there. By clicking on the "Manage" button I discovered where the "miisng" space had gone and was able to sort it out. Once again thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?