Problem with External DVD Burner linked via USB2

Valkaholic 11:39 04 Nov 2005

I have a brand new externally housed Pioneer DVR-110D DVD Burner. It's connected to my laptop via USB2.
It plays CDs and DVDs fine. It also burns CD's fine.
When I try and burn a short (4 mins) Movie Maker clip, as a test, it bombs out, every time. It either cancels the burn whilst burning the actual movie file or when burning the "lead out".

I've tried both Phillps and Memorex DVD-R discs. No joy. I've tried burning with speeds from 1x to 8x, no joy. I'm using Sonic software to do the burning.

I know the movie file and the Sonic software are Ok, as I also have an internal DVD burner on my laptop and that burns the movie with no problems.

I spoke to Pioneer Tech support who said their DVD burners are not designed to be operated in external enclosures!!!!. They suggetsed it was probably the conversion to USB that was the problem. Sounds like a cope out to me, as there are loads of people selling externally housed DVD burners. Surely they can't all not work!

Any views or comments.
cheers
John

xania 13:25 04 Nov 2005

Could be faulty, or could be as Pioneer says. Either way, I'd take it back and get it replaced.

jack 13:42 04 Nov 2005

How is this item powered?
If it is pulling power from the lappie via the USB then a DVD burn may be just a little too much.
But take it back - it aint doing the job.

Valkaholic 13:48 04 Nov 2005

The burner is externally powered from the mains. It's housed in one of the ICY Box enclosures, which have a pretty good name from what I've read.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?