problem with Excel attachments

palinka 17:07 23 Jun 2004

A friend has Excel on his pc (OS is XP)and also has Norton installed. All was Ok at first but about 3 months ago began to get messages that couldn't access attachments in Excel because something was missing in Norton. He's been on to Norton's website and finds there is nothing missing. He can access attachments in Word. He's not installed/removed anything that could account for this problem suddenly occurring 3 months ago.
Anyone else come across this? Any solutions, please?

Virtuosity 17:19 23 Jun 2004

There is security feature in Norton re the email attachments, I am not sure exactly where it is, but this needs to be reduced.

Try this, if you have system works like me. Double-click the icon in the taskbar, select options then norton antivirus. Then click miscelleaneous and untick the box which says enable office plugin. Then shutdown and restart and see if that works.

THE TERMINATOR 19:46 23 Jun 2004

click on tools menu in OE and choose internet options, security tab, and disable the box that says:do not allow attatchments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. You can then open your attatchments....TT

palinka 09:51 24 Jun 2004

Virtuosity and [email protected], thanks, I've passed on your suggestions.
Thanks, THE TERMINATOR, but that's already set the "right" way on his pc. (it was my first thought).
If Virtuosity and [email protected]'s suggestions don't do the trick,I suspect that either his Norton or his Excel have become corrupted and a re-install might fix things.

THE TERMINATOR 23:35 24 Jun 2004

could it be that excel isn't assigned as the program to open excel files?

palinka 09:12 25 Jun 2004

thanks THE TERMINATOR, I'll pass that on too. It was originally OK, but I suppose it could have "slipped".

THE TERMINATOR 23:53 26 Jun 2004

Tell your friend to open NAV options, by clicking on it's icon and choose options. Assuming that e-mail scanning is on, tell your friend to make sure that DENY ACCESS TO THE INFECTED FILE under the heading HOW TO RESPOND WHEN A VIRUS IS FOUND is not enabled....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone