problem with e-mails

gerryp96 21:56 25 Oct 2006

Posted this problem a week ago but my friends problem is still there, been to see him and find that he can send e-mails (Outlook Express ) but not receive. He keeps getting timed out, we tried increasing time out but within seconds it gives the message that there is a server problem. We have looked at settings which appear to be correct.
Can anyone suggest what he can do next ?.
The problem started when Freeserve changed its connection number.
Thanks for any help

interzone55 22:10 25 Oct 2006

If your friend can send but not receive then he is connected to Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange fine.

The chances are that there is a huge email stuck at the front of his mailbox.

The best way to solve this is to go to Orange's webmail page click here log in with his email address & password then his inbox will be shown. From here he can delete any emails he doesn't want, such as the one that's stopping him fetching his mail in the usual way.

This is also a good way of deleting spam without downloading it first.

gerryp96 11:08 26 Oct 2006

Thanks Alan14 I will let him know tonight (Thursday ). Will post if it is succesfull.

birdface 17:59 26 Oct 2006

Go to tools . Options ,At the bottom it will say O/E, Is not the default mail handler, Press button to make it Default mail handler, Then press apply.{ I should have said open Outlook Express first}

gerryp96 21:37 26 Oct 2006

Hi alan14 he tried getting his e-mails through orange but there were no big mails there.
buteman, I looked at your tip to be able to tell him but when I tried it on my computer the boxes at the bottom to make it default mail handler were greyed out.
One thing I did notice last night was while checking the account details there was a account user called Coolweb, isn't that a virus or Trojan horse?

birdface 21:57 26 Oct 2006

Try. Control Panel.Taskbar and search Menu, Start Menu, Customise. Bottom left make sure e-mail is ticked, And the dropdown barr accross from it has Outlook Express on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?